Thank you Death

"We slowly drove, he knew no haste, / And I had put away / My labor, and my leisure too, / For his civility" (Dickinson 5-8). 
The first thing I wanted to point out is that Death is given a masculine identity. He is then portrayed as being kind and polite. When I think of death this discription does not come to mind. I imagine a dark personality. In this poem though it is not the case. Dickinson wrote and described Death like this because the first 12 lines I feel give the impression of a funeral procession. A driver is driving the speaker, who is in a hearse, very slowly past all the speakers favorite places, including the school, and taking the speaker to their grave site. When you see a funeral procession the cars are moving very slowly and cautiously; therefore, that is why this peom made me interpret it this way.

Erica Gearhart said:

Juliana, I saw the same thing when I read this poem. I saw it as a funeral procession too, and also thought it was strange that death was given such an amiable personality. I think Dickinson may have done this either to satirize death, almost taunting him to come and get her, or perhaps she did this because she does not fear death.

Angelica Guzzo said:

death is given a masculine idenity. I hadn't noticed that until you said it. I also liked what you said on my blog about taking time to enjoy life. I;m glad someone agreed with my point. I felt passionate about this poem.