Golden.

I found it interesting that so many things in the novel were described as being yellow in color such as Joad's shoes, the belly of the turtle, and the dog. Why is this? Is this to just make an image in your head of the landscape and only seeing yellow dust? Not only does he describe objects as being yellow Steinbeck also describes the Oklahoma landscape as being "yellowing, dusty, afternoon light put a golden color on the land. The cornstalks looked golden" (Steinbeck 26). However, when I think of golden and yellow I was think it might symbolize money and that the land used to be rich and profitable. Now, the lands that used to be so rich in corn have been taken over by cotton and has been bled dry and are not profitable. Trackback

Rosalind Blair said:

I also noticed this while reading, and wondered the same thing but did not give much thought into it. I agree with your interpretation of it though, and I can now see sone connection between money and the color yellow.

I agree that "golden" can often be associated with riches and money. However, when I think of yellow, I also think of dried, frayed, fading material, like old paper. If something's yellowing, it's withering and dying, which is exactly what the land and the farmers' entire way of life is doing. It's interesting how you can make associations that are completely opposite like that, but they both are valid, I think. The land once was prosperous, back when it was "golden." But its yellowness also indicates that it's fading away. Maybe you could do a close reading and compare when Steinbeck describes things as "golden" and when he refers to things as "yellow" and compare the connotations? I don't know, could be interesting.