What a Creeper

EL 266 - The Yellow Wall Paper

"The color is repellent, almost revolting; a smoldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight" (Perkins-Gilman 1)

Even though the author of this story appears to be describing the ugly yellow wall paper that has transfixed her attention, she is actually describing herself.

First, her demeanor seems to be repellent. It is almost as if she does not want people around. Toward the end of the story, the author even asks that Jennie, the maid, leave her alone to "rest." This has been asked numerous times, all because the author wants to be alone. Even her husband stays far from her, although his avoidance is much less intentional as is the town doctor.

The author's complexion is a rather sickly pallor, much like the "smoldering unclean yellow" of the wall paper. In adaptation, the author believes that the wall paper forms the shape of a woman, "stooping down and creeping about" (5).  This is not the first time the word 'creep' has been used and in fact the author says, "I always lock the door when I creep by daylight" (8). 

From the beginning of the story, multiple connections are made with the "woman in the wall paper" and the author. Both women are behind bars and the author seems trapped not only in the summer house, but also by her own delusional mind.

Kayla Lesko said:

It didn't really cross my mind about the connection between the wallpaper itself and the author. I just picked up on the connection between the woman in the wallpaper and the author.

Peaches Ostalaza said:

From the start there were similarities between the two but I didnt see the connection where she crept by daylight jus as the woman in the wal1.I did not see that they were one in the same.