"Teenagers, Bobs, and Liberation" (Response to Erica's Comment)

“Teenagers, Bobs, and Liberation”

Erica’s response to the end of the “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” story reminded me of my own high school. Many of the girls I used to be friends with were very fake. They tried anything to fit in and draw attention to themselves. Anyone who didn’t do the same could expect to never get invited or included anything. You may ask why would you want to be included in such a group of girls if they were so fake. Well, being independent from the popular girls may have said a lot for my character, but on the inside I realized how much I would have liked to be included in all the fun those girls always seemed to have.

I used to hate how they would talk behind each others backs. I wanted to avoid them to make sure I never would become the same, but in the process I paid a price. When looking back on high school, I realized I missed out on a lot of memories just because I refused to join in and conform myself. Was it worth the price? To be honest I’m not sure. I wish I had could have been brave like Bernice and forced the popular girls to conform to a not so popular style. Maybe things would have been different then.