Looking at the Bigger Picture

"Once everyone makes the 'right' choice, once they all exercise free will, rather than freedom, the rebel soldier is a threat to the 'right' order, and rebellion is treason" (Sears).

When I first read the section where the soldier who had initially helped to release Segismundo was in turn thrown in jail by him in the end, my first thought was this happened because it was to demonstrate that revolts against the king should be supressed since Segismundo had made amends with his father. I thought this also occurred to show that this type of behavior would no longer be encouraged by Segismundo.

However, after reading Sears article, as realized I was looking at the story too much and not looking at the bigger picture. Sometimes it's hard for me to look at a story and not discuss it as if it were real or the characters were real. For example, it doesn't really matter why Segismundo sent the soldier away in relation to the other characters and the rest of the story itself, but rather why Calderon would have this action taken by this certain character towards another character at this time in the story. What connection does this action have to the bigger picture? I'm not sure if I worded that explanation right, so if you don't understand what I am trying to say in this paragraph, just let me know in a comment.

Anyways, Sears's article helped me to see that bigger picture. Segismundo was chosen for that action towards the rebel soldier in order to show the suppression of free will when it is used for something that isn't necessarily considered "good" for society. I think the scenario could kind of be related to earlier scenes when Segismundo was going a little crazy with his free will when initially released from prison. Because his free will was not being used for what society considered good, he had to be placed back into isolation as punishment.

Go back  

Katie, I'm confused. I was wondering which soldier you are talking about. The only person that I know of that was imprisoned was Clarin, but I have no idea. Who was this "soldier" you talk about? I think that would help my understanding.

Katie Vann said:

Sorry I made it sound confusing Angela... I lose track of what I'm thinking half the time. I meant the person at the very end of the play who Sedgismundo had imprisioned for treason. I don't remeber if it was a soldier or not, it was just someone who had come to let Segismundo out the second time. Let me know if this helps.