No So Useless

"As often in Shakespeare, the characters in The Tempest are invited to a meeting to be held after the play in which the puzzling features of their experiences will be explained to them. This seems a curious and unnecessary convention, but it is true to the situation of the drama, where the audience always knows more about what is going on than the characters do" (Frye 303).

Although Frye states somewhere in this paragraph that moments like these in a Shakespeare play aren't really necessary, I think they are useful because for the reader or the play audience, it helps to sum everything up even if it was obvious to them. All the plot lines that were interweaving and overlapping each other can be connected and brought fully to the surface. I think it also gives the audience a chance to pick up on something if they have missed it.

Back.

I believe that it was Greta that said on someone's blog that every plot feature is important. What is one man's trash is another man's treasure. People can find importance in all pieces of literature. Anyway, if it wasn't relevant, why would the author include it?

Jenna said:

I agree that it is necessary to sum everything up at the end or at least identify some kind of closure to the main action. Recently, I read The Man in the Iron Mask (italics) and I felt disappointed after reading 800 pages because I never got a definite answer about what happened to the twin brother that was in prison.