Over My Head... Again

"Psychological critics, for example, though they often focus their attention on the author, and sometimes on the audience, will also frequently operate in the mimetic context. Whether followers of Freud, Jung, Lacan, Maslow, or some other leading figure, such critics bring to their reading a fully developed theory about the way people really behave, and why; and this provides a standard by which they can measure the accuracy of the poet's representations. Such critics are often pleased, but not at all surprised, to find that the great poets' vision of human nature agress with their own" (Keesey 209).

Does this mean that you can take any author's work and usualy mimetic criticism, can interpret to make it fit your own personal meaning? I don't understand how this approach works at all. What I do understand (at least I think, I'm not really sure) is that art can't really show a true demonstration/description of anything. Or something like that. I really didn't understand the rest of it which is unusual because I can usually understand most of what Keesey is saying (although I can never apply it correctly). How would I go about using this type of criticism? I can't tell if I really don't get it because I just don't get it or because I'm not understanding it because this library is so loud that I can't hear myself think anymore much less read. Anyways, now that I got that out of my system, how does this type of criticism work? If someone can help me out, I will really appreciate it.

Go back 

Jenna said:

I was also confused on how psychological criticism works, so I asked Dr. Jerz. Usually we are not supposed to look at the characters as real people; however, for psychological criticism we are supposed to pretend that they are real and apply the psychologist's theories to the characters behaviors. I hope that helps!