Hello Keats...Nice of You to Show Up Again

"Virtually no critics have thought of reading the questions Keats addresses to the urn literally- that is, not as rhetorical exclamations, but as sincere and urget demands for information- and therefore it has not occurred to anyone that Keats is, as de Man would put it, attempting to read, rather than to imagine, the urn. It has been noticed that the poem is composed primarily as a series of questions..." (Guetti 387)

It figures that I would mention Keats in an earlier blog for this week's readings and he would appear the entire way through another essay later on. I thought it was also weird how I mentioned the same point before, how de Man made me think about the questions in Keats's poem which at first seemed very distracting to me.

However, I didn't consider reading Keats questions as real questions until I read Guetti. Sure, I probably at first tried to read them as real questions, but I read them probably too literally and tried to find the answers myself. What Guetti seems to do is to take those questions and pick apart at them as if they were real questions. He's not looking for an answer, but rather looking for the hidden information that is inside the questions. He states that he kind find out what Keats supposedly knows about the urn by the questions he is posing. This makes sense and I can see then how you could actually approach these questions as none other than just real questions. So for example, instead of at first trying to determine who the speaker of the questions were, I could instead determine what the speaker of the question knows or doesn't know about what he is addressing.

Bye

Jenna said:

I used the same quote you did. If we think of the questions are real, then the speaker is being a detective to find out more information about the urn. It was definitely a different spin on a way to read the poem. http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JennaMiller/2009/04/a-rhetorical-urn.html