I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself

Dr. Jerz pointed out to me that I haven't been properly labeing my entries, so I apologize for the MAJOR FAIL.

Roberts Chapter 3 was a big review for me, but the most interesting thing for me was at the beginning of the chapter: "Under the influences of such pioneers as Freud, Jung, and Skinner, the science of psychology has influenced both the creation and the study of literature" (pg. 64).

This reminds me of a conversation with my advisor last year during registration for this semester's classes. I told her that I wanted to minor in psychology.

Advisor: How does that tie in with your Creative Writing major?
Me: I think that it will help my write characters better because I'll be able to get into their heads.
Advisor: *pauses* That's a good reason.

Characters are very important to me because if I have to be exposed to them throughout a story, I want thme to be interesting. There have been a few times where I have liked a concept for a story, but the characters totally ruined it for me and I didn't want anything more to do with it.

Oh, and here's a link back to the course website:

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL237/2009/09/roberts_ch_3/

A character can make a story wonderful. As we saw with the complex character of Mrs. Minnie Wright in "Trifles," she was two different people twisted by 30 or so years of marriage.

I am or want to take other classes like bio, sociology, psych, education (and that is why I like being at a Liberal Arts school) because it will add depth, experience, and knowledge to what I write and make it more realistic.

That's initially why I minored in Psychology, as well! Well, not specifically. I'm not a Creative Writing major, but I thought that understanding the motives behind a character's actions while reading and analyzing a work of literature would be immensely helpful. However, I kind of forgot that I felt that way when I changed my minor from Psychology to Theatre. Whoops.

Brooke Kuehn said:

Interesting, i never thought about how a major in psychology could help us as writers. It botheres me in ch 4 when roberts wrote, "Indeed, of all the aspects of literature, point of view is the most complex because it is so much like life itself" (79). Point of view is complex but so is characterization and plot. With all the studies and information clumped into psychology, how can he say point of view is the most complex? i just dont get it