Keep a gamester from his dice

“ Shallow how now, master Parson. Good Morrow, Sir Hugh. Keep a gamester from his dice, and a good student from his book, and it is wonderful.” (Line 35 Acts 3) Merry Wives of windsor

I understand from this quote that shallow may be admiring Sir Hugh ability to keep a person from what they desire to do. It is hard to keep a gamester away from the game which he desirers to play the same concept with the student. I think shallow is jealous or sarcastic about this power that Hugh may or may not have.  Shallow also may be bragging about how he would like to part someone from what they desirer.  

I can understand. I am so bogged down right now that I can't play my games or do anything else for that matter. Shakespeare is great. I love him. Good Kayley!

Maddie Gillespie said:

Everyone needs to have something that they love to do. Those who love to read are often hard pressed to crawl out of a book that they have made themselves so comfortable in. I think you're exactly right about the student and the gambler, beacuase hey, gambler's always think that one more turn of the dice will cure all their ills. Good goin'!

Ally Hall said:

I agree with Maddie, I think it's a great thing for everyone to have something that they just love to do. However, I think that from where Shallow is coming from, it's always somewhat amusing to be able to pull someone away from that thing that they're so attached to. I know I find some kind of silly pleasure from being able to tear that person away from that book they're so engrossed in, or that level of Guitar Hero that they're so dead-set on beating.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I agree with you and with everyone else for that matter. Everyone has their 'drug.' Separating from the thing you love is difficult so your assumption of the student and the gambler is correct!