Kick back and retire

“55And I have known the eyes already, known them all--

56The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,

57And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,

58When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,”

“I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.”Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

I picked a few lines that I would like to talk about; the first is line 52. “I know the voices dying with a dying fall” this line stuck out to me because it is linked with Shakespeare, and because it mentions the word dying twice. It is almost seems like the writer is making a point that he is doing the opposite of going out with a bang! It emphasis the fact that the Character doesn’t believe that his life meant anything that he didn’t do anything worth noting.  I think it’s a man struggling with getting old feeling as though everyone is pointing it out to him everyday that he is old. He knows what they are thinking about him because he has thought those things about old people in the past. In lines 55-58 it really shows this.  In line 117 this changes “full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse” He seems to be more up beat about himself. He shows his seniority and wise thoughts. Showing that he is a moral man.  In line 121 it seems like he is an old man about the retire. “I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.” Like he was going to kick back and just let the rest of life happen.  More comments 

Maddie Gillespie said:

Everyone's gotta take a break sometime, even more so if you're older. There are people who are very bothered if they think that they aren't somebody. Yet there are a few others who strive to be nothing. I don't think the world keeps on going just because Somebody did something big. It's all the Nobody's working together in obscureness that keep the world on track. Older individuals are most often nostalgic about the past, thus sounding more upbeat when talking of their former adventures. Everyone wants to stay young in body, but until we find the fountain of youth, we'll simply have to settle for staying young in mind and heart.