Short story Development

Developing Characters

“Your job, as a writer of short fiction--whatever your beliefs--is to put complex personalities on stage and let them strut and fret their brief hour. Perhaps the sound and fury they make will signify something that has more than passing value--that will, in Chekhov's words, "make [man] see what he is like." -Rick Demarnus”

I think that the key point is that you need to develop your characters like you would judge a persons character in person. When someone walks up to you on the street you look at how they walk, how they show interest in you and the conversation (speech) they have with you. That is how a character should be presented. 

Kaitlin Monier said:

A character in a story should be presented as people in real life. If they are presented this way, then the characters in the story will become more real and the reader will be able to relate to them.

Jessie Farine said:

My favorite part about writing a story is coming up with characters and their personalities. It feels like I'm playing "God," where I just decide what this person should be like and build him or her to develop and act that way.

Exactly! The characters are essential. And really I didn’t realize how important they were till I began reading these posts. It seems like everyone is commenting on the importance of making realistic characters and doing pre-writing. It seems to write a good story we need to do both of these things.