WHy does anything else matter but what I think?

“These two ideas, then, one stressing the individuality of the poet, the other the individuality of the age,”( Keesey 11) more comments on Keesey introduction

“Approach the poem through the study of the life and times of its author” (keesey 11)

According to the “(formal work criticism)” (3) diagram in the book Context for Criticism shows the basic idea of what a critic can do with a work of literature. But this is too basic of an idea for anyone to base his or her theory on how a work should be evaluated and discussed.

Chapter one discussed the concepts a bit further in regards to historical criticism. What should be looked at when/ and where the Author is concerned?  There are two main concepts related to this term. “One stressing the individuality of the poet, the other the individuality of the age,” In other words one must look at the differences between the authors the characters of the poem or work of literature, the time period of the setting and the time period of which the author lived in. That also concerns the time period when the author wrote the work of literature. “Approach the poem through the study of the life and times of its author,” one poem could attain different meanings if studied as a representative of different time periods in its like or the writer’s life. I think that this is an increasable well-explained concept for young critics (all people new to the literary world of criticism) to understand.

Erica Gearhart said:

I thought that these comments are interesting too, Kayley. It is amazing to me that so many different interpretations of a text can come from these two basic characteristics of author's intent criticism. I think this is why I like criticism--because as long as you follow the rules and support your arguments, almost anything goes. Yes, it takes an amazing amount of work and I have much to improve upon, but there is a lot of wiggle room in it, especially for those of us who are new to the writing style.

Bethany Merryman said:

I believe that it's an important distinction in studying literature. We should focus on the actual intent of the author when he writes it! We can't look at different historical interpretations otherwise, because, for instance, Shakespeare could not predict the future of the world.