This Blog Entry Is Not True

"Paradox is a trope in which a statement that appears on the surface to be contradictory or impossible turns out to express an often striking truth" (Hamilton 56).

Ahh, the paradox.  It is one of my favorite literary terms ever.  Now, being a Spanish major and a Creative Writing minor, I never thought that math could relate to any of that stuff.  But alas!  It does!

Have a look:

This sentence is false. 

That above statement is often referred to as the liar's paradox.  Using logic (a mathematical concept), one can deduce the truth value of this statement.  If we believe that the sentence is false, then the sentence is true.  If we believe that the sentence is true, then the sentence is false.  Is your head spinning yet?  Mine is. 

This link will not take you back to the course website.

Maddie Gillespie said:

I like the fact that you were able to tie in mathematics to this literary term. You might say that I'm an English major simply because of the fact that math and I don't get along well. Then again, I did have a math test today and I can fully appreciate the paradoxical sentence above. Agreement with you is quite possible after reading this blog. Good job!

Ally Hall said:

I enjoy paradoxes in literature - after all, I have written a three or four page paper on the paradoxes in "The Crucible". But your last little blurb there confused me to know end. haha But I suppose it's a good thing, right? But hooray for making me confused. :)

Kaitlin Monier said:

Paradoxes are confusing, but also really entertaining! No wonder so many writers incorporate them into their pieces.