Don't Throw Out The Trash

"Still, it is a shock to realize that 'trailer trash' has become, for me, a demographic category to aspire to" (Ehrenreich 12). 

I was a little offended at this statement that Barbara Ehrenreich made.  I spent half of my life being a resident at a mobile home park (which I guess is the more politically correct way to say it) and I think that I turned out alright.  I'm going to college, I have two jobs, and I'm involved in clubs and activities on campus.  Just the way she said it made it seem like such a dismal position to amount to.  Now, I realize that she was probably never in that situation before, but was it really such a shock to her that SURPRISE! not everyone gets everything handed to them on a silver platter? 

I'm not trying to criticize her or anything, but the choice of words just seemed inappropriate. 

Want a different perspective?  Go here.

Kaitlin Monier said:

I thought that the tone of she took on during the book had an air or snottiness to it. She seems to have had everything handed to her on a silver platter. Maybe she hasn't, but she comes off that way.