Expecto Degreeum!

"Degrees can be helpful, but they are not magical" (Lemire 44).

I apologize for the Harry Potter reference, but I simply could not think of a more suitable blog entry title.  Plus, you know you love HP.  :-P

Anyway, the way that Lemire describe the importance of degrees was really surprising to me.  He almost acted like they had no influence over whether you got a job or not.  But now I am starting to understand what he is saying.

There are two general types of college students: those who are there for the education and those who are there to party.  I don't mean to stereotype, but I believe that is what it generally comes down to.  It's not always their faults either; some parents force their children to go to college, even if they don't want to.  Inevitably, that child may not give a hoot about their education because they did not want to be there in the first place.  But both of those types of students can walk out of college with a degree. 

I have heard many people say that whether or not you get a job depends on what degree you have and what school you went to.  Lemire seems to dismiss this idea.  Sure, having a degree does imply that you went on to higher education and took more classes...but does that mean that you gained more knowledge?  I think that everyone learns something after coming out of college.  Lemire seems to think that it all comes down to whether or not you took your education seriously. 

If you wish to return to the course website, you may either apparate, use the portkey, throw some floo powder into the fireplace, or simply click here.     

I sometimes think of this attitude as "Accio diploma!"