He/She/It/Them...What am I talking about? Third person!

"An omniscient third-person narrator can enter the consciousness of any character, evaluate motives and explain feelings, and recount the background and predict the outcome of situations" (Hamilton 114).

I always found third-person omniscient to be much more interesting than third-person limited.  Granted, it is probably harder to write in that way.  Think about it: remember when we were looking at tips on writing a short story?  It mentioned that you should always fully develop your characters, even if you don't mention all their characteristics in the story.  When you're writing in third-person omniscient, you have to go so much deeper into character development because now you have more than one character in the spotlight. 

When I was a kid, I read R.L. Stine's Goosebumps Series.  After I read through all of those, I moved on to the Fear Street series.  Most of the Fear Street books were written in third-person omniscient.  Although it was probably difficult to write, it was extremely suspenseful.  In one chapter, you would be in the mind of a character who just heard a noise in the middle of the night and were going to investigate.  In the next chapter, you'd be in the mind of the person who just killed that character.  You'd never find out who the killer was because you were in their stream of conciousness...you only read their thoughts and you never saw their name mentioned (until the end of course).  I believe that the third-person omniscient thrives best in a horror (or mystery) story environment.

Don't like third-person omniscient.  That's too bad.  I guess you'll just have to return to the homepage and find another literary term that you like better.