October 28, 2006

Interactive Fiction: Round Two

My first experience with Interactive Fiction wasn't a very pleasant one. Karissa agrees with me. This time, however, i found the software a little easier to work with. I guess working on it for a project and developing a game on my own tends to make one a little bit more skilled at the task they are trying to learn. I like it so much, in fact, that i decided to use it for my New Media Projects class as the basis for my first project. This time, since i was a little more familiar with the software, i actually managed to get somewhere with the game examples listed under the entry about Command Line Interface.

Speaking of Command Line Interface, I'm glad i didn't have to use such a program. It was almost too simple and it seemed to have very limited qualities. Also, if i got frustrated with IF so easily the first time, surely my feelings about Command Line Interface would not have been pleasant ones.

Anyways, here's a little recap of what happened when i tested the individual games/links. For the most part i played until i wasn't sure what to do (it didn't take long to run out of options, due to the simplicity of the older games).
The first software program i tried out was Eliza. I felt like i was mouthing off to Eliza and vice-versa. She seemed to come back with comments that were meant to be sarcastic or mean, but one must realize she really doesn't know the whole lot of what she is saying. Here is a recording of most of our conversation. I found the last lines to be the funniest part. This was where i generally stopped talking to her because she had started to repeat herself by this point. Remember that anything with a carrot in front of it is my words.

Hello.
How do you do. Please state your problem.
>> hi how are you?
Why are you interested in whether I am or not ?
>> i love my boyfriend
Your boyfriend ?
>> yes
You seem to be quite positive.
>> i am
Is it because you are that you came to me ?
>> sure
Earlier you said your boyfriend .
>> yes, my boyfriend
You are sure.
>> yes i am sure
I see.
>> i see too
You say you see too ?
>> yes i see too
I understand.
>> do you really understand?
We were discussing you -- not me.
>> well let's discuss you.
Oh, I ?
>> yes, you.
You seem to be quite positive.
>> i am postive
How long have you been postive ?
>> for eigtht years
I'm not sure I understand you fully.
>> for eight years
Please go on.
>> and then this one time i was typing to a computer
Do computers worry you ?
>> just you.
You're not really talking about me -- are you ?
>> yes i am talking about you
You are sure.
>> i am sure
Do you believe it is normal to be sure ?
>> sometimes
What does that suggest to you ?
>> that you are a computer
Why do you mention computers ?
>> because you are one
Is that the real reason ?
>> yes that is the real reason
I see.
>> do you really see?
What are your feelings now ?
>> that i hate you
Perhaps in your fantasies we hate each other.

I laughed so hard when i read her response to "that i hate you." I then told her maybe in your dreams we hate each other, at which point her comments became repetitive.

Colossal Cave Adventure
kind of confused me and didn' t really interest me but i was trying to figure out what to type and i decided to type "kill bird." I'm not really sure why, but it actually worked. (see below).

>kill bird
The little bird is now dead. Its body disappears.

After that, i decided to try and kill the house, just for the heck of it. Well, the game was quite funny when I typed in that command. (Again, see below).

>kill house
What do you want to kill the house with?

>hands
I've known some strange people, but fighting a white house?

As far as Galatea goes, I am not sure i really understand what Galatea is. From the questions i asked her and her mention of carving and looking for her artist, I'm thinking maybe she is a random statue sitting on a pedestal? But that is odd. I am (was) interacting with a stone statue? And she was said to have personality? Hmm....Anyways, i ran out of stuff to ask her as well, but the tastes of these games were a little bit more substantial than they were last time. It kind of excites me to be working with the program again.

Posted by Lori Rupert at October 28, 2006 08:07 PM
Comments

I found Galatea to be a bit odd myself...I don't really like 'talking' with people whenever I can't see or hear them. I guess I'm just not a true computer geek after all...

Posted by: Katie at October 30, 2006 01:29 AM

I'm with you on Command Line Interface, its so simple and powerful, but I find it rather intimidating.

Oh and Galatea was weird, I didn't like her at all, stupid mornful statue . . .

Posted by: Diana Geleskie at October 30, 2006 08:23 AM

Well, Lori, here we go again. I'm glad to see you're moving through things a little easier. I think that I am, but I can't be sure.

As for typing "kill [object/person]" for every single command? Yeah, I did that. When I was so ticked that I couldn't get anything to work or progress through the game at all, I just start typing "kill" and something usually happens...

I think maybe we understand a little more about the games now that we've had a chance to make one for ourselves. Hopefully this will prove helpful as we make our way through IF a second time this semester.

Posted by: Karissa at October 30, 2006 11:18 AM
Post a comment









Remember personal info?