Scritch scratch towards progress

Well, after much deliberation, frustration, and a significant loss of mental stability, my Scratch project is complete! It is not as great or expansive as I had first hoped, but it does accomplish its goal: to give you a bit of fun (or perfect procrastination excuse).

If you have not read my past blogs about my project or don't remember what they say, my project features altered photos of Lego Batman characters and arranges them in different patterns on different levels in a pong game. My official title on Scratch's website is "Final-Final Version - Batman Pong."

I had planned at the start of this project to manipulate the game by the use of a timer. However, this greatly complicated my game to the point where bugs kept cropping up and my blood pressure level was mounting. All the same though, this game did test my patience and drive for perfection. Never have I so frustrated with a project that failed my expectations, both of myself and my computer skills. Using Scratch certainly taught me valuable lessons in ingenuity (in my attempts to fix the hellacious program bugs) as well as in recognizing the limits of a computer program and the limits that I, myself possess.

Below are some links to screencasts of users playing my game and their reactions to it. I recorded these videos on my MacBook using Apple's QuickTime Player's "New Screen Recording" function.

The screencast below features a friend of mine playing my homemade Scratch game. She had never played any Scratch game before and had never seen my game's code before either.

The second features another friend of mine who had sampled my game in an earlier version. (A fair warning though, there are a few moments of questionable language in this clip, but not till closer to the end.) Both of these screencasts gave me excellent feedback on how to improve my game as well as giving me honest reactions to how players reacted when playing my game. The two most important concepts that I think I need now would be an opening screen that provides players with a quick explanation of how to play, and to fiddle around with the timer or variable ability to make the screens change levels automatically.

As I look forward to closing Scratch for the last time this semester, I do have to give the program some credit. Yes, I did learn a new use for my ingenuity and a healthy respect for the limits that computers and their programs present to coders. However, I did not give up on my game. I did have to re-work significant parts of it, but I found my drive for perseverance and followed it to the conclusion of my game. That being written, I am not sad to see Scratch go, only the possibilities that I was unable to achieve with it.

Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to take a look at what my peers have made for their various projects, Scratch included, in our New Media Projects class.

If you'd care to look into the other two projects that I've done, you can find descriptions of them at I'm here to Inform you... and Coding away the hours