« My Meaning is your Meaning, Or is it? | Main | Making sense of the Classics? »

To apostrophe or not to apostrophe

Apostrophe (a-POS-troh-fee) an address to a dead person or absent person or to an inanimate object or abstract concept. (Hamilton 62)

I think this word can be confusing because we want to think of the grammatical ways of using an apostrophe. It always takes me a second to get my bearings when I see this word used in this context. I guess by now it shouldn't be that unusual for me, but I still seem to want to make a bunch of these " ' " instead of taking Shakespeares lead and addressing dead people. Though the addressing dead people or inanimate objects is much more interesting than the punctuation.

Bethany Merryman:

Very good point!! I agree that it could be confusing while reading literary criticism but hopefully along with the context we will be able to interpret which apostrophe is being considered!

Yeah, Bethany, I exaggerated a bit in my blog, I would hope as English majors we wouldn't be confused for long over the puncuation apostrophe and the literary term apostrophe.

james lohr:

I must have been skimming in my reading, i missed this one completely, thanks for pointing it out.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 2, 2009 11:03 PM.

The previous post in this blog was My Meaning is your Meaning, Or is it?.

The next post in this blog is Making sense of the Classics?.