Religion, the Universal Language of Symbols

"See this is in symbolic terms. A young man sails away from his known world, dies out of one existence, and comes back a new person, hence is reborn. Symbolically, that's the same patter we see in baptism: death and rebirth through the medium of water." (Foster 155)

I found this chapter very interesting because I had never really considered this idea before. In fact, when I first began reading this chapter I thought that this idea seemed like it would be stretching more than any of the other ideas on symbolism. I think it took a little bit longer with this chapter for me to fully accept the idea of symbols of baptism. As the chapter continued though, I found this symbol making much more sense. I also think now that I understand it more, I can see how commonly this symbol may be used. This chapter really caught my attention because I had never noticed this symbol before. I also noticed with this chapter that several of the symbols Foster has presented are religious, such as the Jesus figure and symbols of the Bible. I think this is because religion is such a universal language that people of completely different backgrounds and cultures can all understand a religious symbol.

Read other students thoughts on Foster