Insomniac....the story of my life

I really liked reading the poem, "Insomniac" by Sylvia Plath mostly because I felt I could relate to it in some ways.  "The night sky is only a sort of carbon paper/ Blueblack, with the much-poked periods of stars/ Letting in the light, peephole after peephole-"  I thought this opening stanza was simply a very pretty and unique way of describing the night sky.  Plath continues with talking about scenes from one's life playing through one's head like an old film.  I know personally, that when I'm up late, there's rarely anyone else up, so a lot of memories are going through my head.  Especially, if you are simply lying there trying to get to sleep, your mind dredges up many old memories.  Plath continues with talking about pills, exemplifying how people sometimes try to use sleep aids to get to sleep.  However, as Plath mentions, these pills don't always work and the restless night continues.  Plath ends with the morning coming and the rest of the world waking up.  I like how the poem seems to continue this motion as if you are going through this long, sleepless night that Plath describes.  Overall, I just found that I could relate to many of Plath's examples with my own experiences.

Read other students thoughts on Plath