Hidden Sex

"Tall buildings? Male sexuality. Rolling landscapes? Female sexuality. Stairs? Sexual Intercourse. Falling down stairs? Oh my." (135-136)

I think this chapter It's All About Sex... was actually very interesting. Face it; we're in college. Sex is all around us. How often do you hear a "that's what she said" joke? I'm used to people making sexual innuendos, and I usually pick up on them. However, when Foster was talking about some of the symbols used for sex and sexuality in this chapter, I was completely surprised. For instance, his rocking horse example- in the context of this chapter I had some idea where he was going with it, but if I just read that on my own I never would have thought that way. I find that when I'm watching movies and there's that curtain blowing in the breeze scene I wonder- well did they? I don't think I've ever really had that thought with waves crashing on a beach though. Relating to Foster's next chapter though, I think that these subtle images of sex are more effective than trying to write out some sexual scene. I've found that when reading, trying to put words to it just takes away from the scene somehow. Instead, when it's just lightly implied, the scene doesn't take away from the story at all. Also, I like how Foster mentioned that putting sex in more subtle terms protects the innocent. Have you ever watched a Disney movie or some other kids movie when you were younger and then watched it now years later? I know I have, and there's definitely some things I didn't pick up on when I was younger. Now though I notice them, and I'm almost amazed they're in a kids movie. These sexual implications are depicted in such a way though that children don't notice, but mom and dad maybe aren't as bored with the movie.

Other students' thoughts