Blind to the Truth

"In other words, the author has created a minor constellation of difficulties for himself by introducing a blind character into the work, so something important must be at stake when blindness pops up in a story. Clearly the author wants to emphasize other levels of sight and blindness beyond the physical." (Foster 202)

I found this chapter particularly interesting because of it how much it used Oedipus Rex to relate the topic. I read part of Oedipus Rex a couple years ago in an English class so I found it easy to relate to what Foster was describing in this chapter. One of the points that I really liked that Foster made was how an author must take special care when putting in a blind character. That blindness must always be a present factor in the character even when the character is doing simple things because face it, being blind would affect all aspects of your life. There is a different sense to a story when the character you are reading about is impaired. Furthermore, I like how Foster points out blindness in a story may often refer to something more than physical blindness. From reading Oedipus Rex, I know entirely what Foster means by this. It seems that the truth is always there staring Oedipus in the face but he never manages to see it. In the end when he sees the light, he blinds himself physically replacing his blind mentality.

Read other students' thoughts