« Bevel the baptized | Main | Lady and the Tramp »

March 16, 2006

Great Googly-Moogly

Roberts, Ch 18 -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

I liked Robert's mention of scholar.google.com.(263) I will definitely have to try that one out sometime.

The problem you get with conventional search engines it that you have to sift through lot of garbage before you find that half-eaten Big Mac. But I digress.

A search engine that I've used to some effect has been www.vivisimo.com. It's a clustering engine that takes all the responses to your search and breaks them down into more specific categories.

I have found Vivisimo is more to the point than Google, which gives you all the responses in a heap and leaves you to sift through them.

I read an article the other day that Microsoft is constructing an engine it hopes will compete with Google and Yahoo. See the sort of attention an IPO and a more than $300 per-share price will get you?

As for the note cards, I agree they're the easiest to organize. I can also appreciate the structure Roberts suggests with his note-taking system, though I think it is a bit too detailed for me at this point. Were I to use it, I'd probably dilute it a bit.

But if you're going to use Google or Yahoo, I think you have to seriously question the validity of the information you get. I think we discussed that briefly in class.

Posted by MattHampton at March 16, 2006 12:11 AM

Just like spaghetti, Big Macs are so much better on the second day!

I tried the same search on ebscohost, dogpile, scholar.google.com and vivisimo, and only vivisimo gave me what I was looking for.

Thanks for the hint-I have Roberts 10th edition, and it never mentions scholer.google, or at least I don't remember reading about it!

Posted by: Brenda Christeleit at March 16, 2006 06:48 PM