Untrodden Politics

"She lived unknown, and few could know/ When Lucy ceased to be;/ But she is in her grave, and, oh,/The  difference to me!" (9-12 Woodsworth).

I really liked the imagery that Woodsworth presented in his poem, "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways." Mostly because the speaker is presenting this girl who is very pretty, but very hard to find and throughout the poem the reader doesn't really understand why she is so hard to find. Then the speaker lets it be known that the girl is actually dead. It also exemplifies the feeling of how much the speaker actually loved the girl especially when the speaker says, "-Fair as a star, when only one/Is shining in the sky" (6-7) and showing that no matter what he will always have a place inside of his heart.  

I really liked the way Yeats spoke about love as if there should me more important things to think about and worry about in the poem, "Politics." The speaker is trying to illustrate the love of one's country and how politics and thought should be important, but at the same time the speaker may also mean that a girl or love is more important than anything political. For example in lines, "How can I, that girl standing there" (1) and "held her in my arms" (12) shows that the woman could be a distracter to the speaker to take his mind from the everyday horrors of politics and war. However, this could just mean that the speaker wishes to start a young country over again and to coddle it in the speaker's arms. Either way, it still holds a romantic tone whether about a country or a person. Together the two poets have a very interesting take on love, nature, and mostly Yeats discusses anything political.

The element of surprise in "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways" was the best part of the poem, in my opinion. I read the first stanza thinking that the girl was just some sort of outcast, not that she was actually dead and that's why she had "none to praise / And very few to love" (3-4). In Intro to Poetry last year, we went over Wordworth's poetry and this was one of the poems we covered. Father Stephen also noted the juxtaposition in the poem because it is the most evocative feature of this poem.

Melissa Schwenk said:

I loved the element of surprise on Woodsworth’s poem, too. The juxtaposition was something that I hadn’t really thought about in terms of the lines. Thanks for pointing that out. It really helps illustrate the contrast that the poet was probably trying to get across.