Accenting Everyone

I hadn't thought about Roberts' idea that "setting may accentuate qualities of character" (111). This makes a lot of sense. For example, when you think about a character who is a ballerina in some horrible setting that would involve rolling around in the mud. This contrast from someone who is typically seen as girly is seen either enhancing the stereotype of her being girly or allowing the other side show through (the side that would not be afraid to play a game of football or something that involved her getting very dirty) allows for a more developed character to be established. In this way setting also enhances the irony in the setting, which is another element that Roberts mentions in terms of setting.

I suppose the reason that I normally don't think of the setting as being that important to the work is usually because I'm more focused on the characters. However in "The Masque of the Red Death" by Edgar Allan Poe (to go along with my theory about it being about ghosts) the setting gives a very eerie feel to it that leaves the reader wondering what the rooms have to do with anything. Well, really the only room that really matters is the black room, but the other rooms set up an opposing factor that allows the suspense to build. Perhaps the reason everyone stays away from the black room (aside from the clock being in there) is because blackness means death, and they do not wish to be reminded of their inevitable deaths.

Kayla Lesko said:

Not entirely sure about this, but I think there's countless essays done about what the colors mean. I don't really think they mean anything except to contrast with the black room.