Identical or the Same?

I'm not exactly sure why it took me until reading Chapter nine of Roberts' to figure out that metaphors meant "identical to something" (138) and similes meant "similar to something" (139).  I guess I always just took them to mean the same thing as being "like" something or perhaps it was one of those concepts that seemed so easy that I just never thought about it. Either way, metaphors and similes are designed to enhance the picture or concept that is taking place. If the reader fails to understand what the original concept is then perhaps a metaphor or similar will clue the reader in.

I like that metaphors and similes challenge the writer to try to say something in a new way. I know from personal experience that it sometimes feels like everything has been said before or every concept or idea has already been done so many times in similar ways that it almost feels redundant to do it again. However, with the concept of similes and metaphors a writer can revive his or her writing in a way that illustrates a whole new side to the classic idea or concept. In Josie's blog, she mentions how using the same metaphors and similes can get boring so new ones should be used to revive a concept. I think that's exactly how so many writers have already gotten away with using the same boring and tiresome concepts over and over again. However, they have also managed to enhance them with a little flair from metaphors and similes.  

Yeah I guess I never really thought about it that way either. I mean, I knew a metaphor was saying something like "he is a pig." He's not really a literal pig, but I am calling him one instead of saying "he is like a pig." I think it's probably one of those easy things we don't really think about it, like me going "whoa... a classroom is a room... where you have class!" a month ago.

I agree with you and Josie about using metaphors to make an old idea new. We don't want to read the same thing over and over, but ultimately, every piece of fiction has the same theme as an earlier work. It's how an author conveys that theme that makes a difference.