Eye'll Erase My Name

So One Eye manages to get back to his beloved list and erase his name from it. Triumph and glory have clearly gone to this man for managing to do something no one else has been able to do. However, there are still some lingering questions that I want answered. Mad Eye types "a two-word message, a verb-noun combo understood across the globe"(Whitehead 355). What does he write? At first I thought maybe he had written, "I won" or "I win," but then the paragraph afterwards talks about his eye patch. So I was thinking, maybe he wrote "eye patch" but that doesn't exactly seem right either. It has to do with something maybe eluding to fear since the text states, "Of course the average person must wonder exactly what is under there. The answer is, the eye patch secrets his fear" (355). So something in that line has to have something to do with the message he leaves for Lucien or at least I think it does. Still, there's no real lasting evidence that I can find for what he actually wrote other than the eye patch or the fears thing.

Kayla Lesko said:

I was thinking he wrote, "F@#! You." That was the first thing to enter my mind.

I don't think he actually erased his name from the list. He realized that there really is no point in doing so...I think he just wrote the note to Lucien to prove a point that The List isn't bulletproof. He could have deleted his name if he wanted, but Lucien might not have noticed that, whereas it's kind of difficult to not notice whatever those two words (explicit or not) were.

Kayla, that's exactly what I thought, or some variation of that. I didn't think it was a profoundly worded statement, but, like we said in class, it was One Eye's way of sticking it to the man, so to speak.
And I'm pretty sure he didn't erase his name, too Jessie. He says at the end of the section, basically, some things will never change. And he also takes time before that to reconcile himself to his defeat.