« Demonstrative Essay 254-263 | Main | The Life You Save May Be Your Own »

March 13, 2006

Chapter 18

Roberts, Ch 18 -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

Since the demonstrative essay includedsopme of chapter 18, I already blogged on this.

I did alot of this in high school. It is this stuff that I am pretty good at. Unfortunately, I wishe that high school would have aided in things that we are doing this this class so taht it wouldnt be so hard.

One of the most important facts in this chapater 18 I think is that when one is note taking, one should paraphrase. It is I agree one of the first steps in writing but it is also a good way to stop from copying one's work.

Posted by OnileeSmith at March 13, 2006 7:00 PM

Yes, this chapter has a lot of helpful hints, and by reading your writing, you are definitely very good at constructing an essay. Instead of notecards, I prefer to just type out my quotes with cites in Word, then cut & paste them around as needed (mostly because my handwriting is so awful).

Posted by: Brenda Christeleit at March 15, 2006 7:56 AM

Onilee,
I agree with you but I also like the outline of this chapter because it touches on different ways to go about looking for information. It also clearly states about documenting all work that is not your own. It also goes over writing actual words on an index card and the author's name, but use your own words and thoughts about what the author said. However, I can also see someone writing word for word and copying an authors work. But there is a way of finding out if someone did do that.

Posted by: LisaRandolph at March 15, 2006 11:01 AM

Thank you, Brenda. It is probably the only thing I am atleast alright at haha. This class stresses me out.

Lisa, in my high school when we did out research paper, we used the index cards. It definately makes the writing very easy! It is a helpful task. It is easy to just write word for word. Honestly, some people are just going to do it. There is nothing one can do about it. However, for those that are honest in their work, it is very helpful.

Posted by: OnileeSmith at March 15, 2006 5:29 PM

There's nothing wrong with using another author's words, as long as you give credit to that author.

Onilee, the difference in your paper from where you were when you came to my office the other day to what you brought to class tonight was delightful to see. It's clear to me that you're getting quite a lot out of this class, and I hope you, too, can see how your hard work is paying off.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at March 15, 2006 8:50 PM