An Unlikely Apple Picking

While first reading Robert Frosts "After Apple Picking," it triggered my mind to imagine the vivid senses associated with picking apples on a beautiful fall day: a slight chill in the air, multi-colored leaves, hundreds of ripe apples waiting to be picked from their tree's, and animals searching for the last available food before the winter frost.  However, since my mind wandered away from the actual content of the poem during my first attempt at reading it, I started reading it again - this time outloud.  While finally comprehending the words the poem,  one particular phrase caught my attention:

I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight 

I got from looking through a pane of glass 

I skimmed this morning from the drinking trough 

and held against the world of hoary grass.  

It melted, and I let it fall and break. 

I believe this so-called "pane of glass" to be an actual sheet of ice.  However, with this hypothesis comes the unsettling fact that apples are ruined after the first frost of the year.  If the water trough was covered in a sheet of ice, then the apples also would have frozen.  Thus, the apple-picker would have spent the entire day picking depredated apples.  I am rather confused, but also curious, of Frost's rationale for writing such an unrealistic poem.