Extraordinary Positive News

Whenever I see a newspaper within reach, I get my hands on it.  However, I don't just start reading it as I would read a book, beginning at the top left corner and continuing down the page. Rather, I scan the paper for any titles of articles or pictures which interest me.  Celebrities, locals, and "extraordinary events" are the subjects which most quickly catch my eye.  I don't enjoy reading about disasters of any sort, and I especially disagree with the saying, "if it bleeds, it leads."  I, like Aja, prefer reading positive news articles to negative ones.  The only problem with this is that oftentimes positive articles are rather a bore.  Many reporters fail to follow the rule "extraordinary events: the more extraordinary, the more newsworthy."  If I want to read an article, I don't want to read one titled "Local Food Pantry Feeds the Hungry."  It's a tad bit too obvious for me, and I would more than likely no read past the first word.  However, they can write a "personality type" profile on the pantry, and explain how it began, as well as HOW they are able to help those in dire need of food.  Perhaps "Local Food Pantry Takes a Bite Out of World Hunger" might be a better article, one which I would actually be interested in reading.

Positive events don't have to be snoozeworthy.  It just takes the right kind of reporter to take an ordinary, taken-for-granted subject and turn it into something that's extraordinary news to the general public.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Our eyes fixate towards words that grab our attention. I do not feel that a newspaper should be read like a book. That is why there are newspapers and there are books. The paper has different sections to satisfy obviously different tastes.

You have creative title ideas which is good. "Bite" is another one of those eye-catching words. A lot of the time is has the negative connotation and people think that if something was bitten there must be blood and again "if it bleeds, it leads" comes into play.

Ugh. Perhaps we can revolutionize journalism to be more positivly exciting.