Rain as important? Really?

In Foster's chapter ten, he speaks of how rain and snow are crucial parts of a novel. How do we know this. He says that we should see rain first "as a plot device"(pg. 76) "atmospherics"(76) and "misery factor"(76). I can see where he is coming from by making the characters miserable and have to seek shelter while being on a manhunt. He uses this example in his writing. But take into consideration, maybe the author is looking outside his window while writing and notices it is raining and is a gloomy day. The author then puts rain in the novel not even thinking of having it as a factor throughout the story. Maybe the only motive he had for the rain or snow is to make the story longer by making the characters have to seek shelter in-order-to continue on. I blogged about this before too, I hate seeing water in stories as symbolic or a baptism. It just strikes me as being blasphemus(SP?) maybe it's just my faith talking.

Ashley Pascoe said:

I agree with what you said about how the author may have just put a rainy day in their story just so they can have a rainy day in their story. I never really paid any attention to the rain in stories and was interested to hear what it may or may not symbolize, but I like your point as well. It's interesting to see some contradicting points.