Beginning to break away

"Heaven grant it be a better one; for, in good sooth, I hardly think to tarry with my flock through the flitting seasons of another year! But, touching your medicine, kind Sir, in my present frame of body I need it not." "I joy to hear it," answered the physician, "It may be that my remedies, so long administered in vain, begin now to take due effect. Happy man were I, and well deserving of New England's gratitude, could I achieve this cure!" (ch.20 p.184)

When I read this I felt excitement for Dimmesdale starting to break away getting ready to start anew. But couldn't help myself from translating the above quote into what may have been said in their heads in our language of today.
I hope I do not offend.

Interpretation of Dimmesdale - "I'm done with this town and living this lie and I'm going to leave and begin a new part of my life. I know the "medicine" you have been giving me to heal has worsened my condition because I slept with your wife. So I'm also done taking it.

Interpretation of Chillingworth - "I don't want to out rightly admit that I have been punishing you so I'm going to act as though I'm so delighted you are feeling better and be overly happy to avoid giving any hint that I know Hester has told you who I really am."