Faith

"My love and my Faith." (p.1) "Faith kept me back a while." (p.2) "...is that any reason why I should quit my dear Faith and go after her?" (p.6) "With heaven above and Faith below, I will yet stand firm against the devil!" (p.7) "My faith is gone." (p.8) "Faith! Faith! cried the husband, "look up to heaven, and resist the wicked one." (p12) "he shrank from the bosom of Faith;" (p.13)

Through out the story of Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown, he displays tests of Faith in many different ways. Through the strength in the relationship with Brown's wife, Faith, he tests the trust they have in one another by leaving and then spending the rest of his life wondering if she looked up or if she gave into the evil. Faith is also stretched and tested when his faith and his wife try to keep him from going on the journey.
Brown's sees the good and the bad of all of the town's people; the people he respects from the town and from church take their own journey into the dark forest. Seeing them behave "badly", may have given Brown more reason to question his Faith and continue on to become a part of the evil. In the end Browns struggle with his faith may have strengthen his beliefs but ruined his love of Faith.