Do kids really play these games?

"It swore every boy to stick to the band and never tell any of the secrets; and if anybody done anything to any boy in the band, whichever boy was ordered to kill that person and his family must do it, and he mustn't eat and he mustn't sleep till he had killed them and hacked a cross in their breasts, which was the sign of the band." (p.9)

Twain gives such detail I couldn't help stopping in horror of the detail in the oath. I know its a story but are these the things that the young boys of that time were playing. Becoming such serious criminals and seeming so serious about it, I could have been more relieved to read just a few paragraphs more to see that it was all pretend. But being so early on in the story you wonder (at least if this is a first read) if the characters are really going to end up "taking stagecoaches and murdering all of the people on them."

This quote also kept my attention, and kept AHF from being "one story" even if only for a few pages. It kept my interest and made me want to keep turning the pages.