Dante always finds a way back into my heart.

"S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse a persona che mai tornasse al mondo, questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse. Ma percioche giammai di questo fondo non torno vivo alcun, s'i'odo il vero, senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo."

For those of you that do not know, the epigraph to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is an excerpt from Dante's Inferno (one of my absolute favorites) ! What it is basically saying after translation, is that Prufrock is explaining his ideal listener.  Someone that will listen to his obsessive complusions, and accept his intermost confessions.  As one can see after reading the poem, his perception of the world is not the greatest.  I think that he believes that with all the hussle and bussle of the world today that the ideal listener he wants so badly, doesn't exsist.  Everyone has there own issues, and that's why it is difficult to find someone who is willing to put theirs aside and focus solely on yours.

The reasonings listed above might be the meaning behind why some scholars think this poem can be conformed to soliloquies. A private aside.  A look into our character's mind. 

homepage

Erica Gearhart said:

I'm so glad you explained what this meant Stephanie. I saw that this was from Dante's Divine Comedy, but had to look up more about it to understand it. Your description is much easier to understand.

Deana Kubat said:

i agree. thank you for translating it was bothering me to know what it meant but there was so much stuff to do i just hadnt gotten to it and then i saw you did. any ways, i think its kind of weird though that prufrock is using all of these other works or parts of them from other authors and inquiring them into his love song and they all still make sense. its pretty neat