Poor Odeipus...if only you would have listened to the blind genius.

"Dramatic Irony: occurs when the audience is privy to knowledge that one or more of the characters lacks.  The technique may be used for comic or tragic effects (Hamilton 46)."

I must say that I'm a huge fan of dramatic irony.  I mean there is nothing like criticizing a character for being a dumbass all throughout the story, even though they can do nothing about it.  Take my man Odeipus for instance.  The poor man was cursed from the beginning. Sometimes I just don't see how these men cannot listen to the blind seer. I mean have that not learned from previous character's flaws? haha ok so I'm just kidding there.

I think that dramatic irony adds to the involvement of the audience.  I know that when I was reading Oedipus and knew all the ties to the king and queen, and the past of the father that I found myself anticipating his failure, as bad as that sounds.  In a way in added to the suspense because I was like waiting for the "GASP he hooked up with his mother... GASP his own children are his brothers and sisters" factor.

Oh dramatic irony, how you slay me...and Oedipus as well I guess seeing that he stabbed his eyes out?  If only he knew what we knew.

Ouch.  Harsh ending. His tragic flaw of over confidence got him  He was doomed for the git-go.

Homepage

Stephanie, ha ha, I like your entry. However my feelings on dramatic irony are mixed. I love having information the characters don’t know, because then I get to be the smart one who know what is going one. And I have never been one to be big on surprises—with dramatic irony, it’s not a problem, even if the character doesn’t know, I do. BUT, dramatic irony also can drive me crazy! How many times have I known something the character doesn’t and I sit there screaming in my mind “NO! NO! Don’t do that!” So I definitely agree that “dramatic irony adds to the involvement of the audience,” I have experienced it firsthand. So good observation

Katie Vann said:

I enjoyed your comment too Steph. I like knowing information the character doesn't know and trying to figure out how it will affect the story. In comedies, such as MWW, it was funny to know what the wives were trying to do to Falstaff and then seeing Ford's reaction to their behavior. However, on the other side, when I as the reader know information that is damaging to a character, such as in Othello, I have the same feelings as Gretta described, the need to warn the characters about what is happening behind their backs.