Stuck in the middle, with no where to turn.

"Eliot borrows the same technique. His internal monologue begins with the "you" and "I," the two sides of Prufrock's personality, debating whether or not to confront a female. One side wants to believe in the possibility of a relationship with a woman; the other, doubts the possibility. (Blythe and Sweet)"

Personally, I'm a fan of personal asides and internal contradictions in poetry and drama.  I think that it shows a great deal of the characters personality, and exhumes what they are like when they are in a stressful situation. This either allows the audience to come to a mutual understanding with the protagonist, or disagree with him to the extent of loving his faults.

I like that he shows the ongoing battle of should I or shouldn't I.  He wants to believe that you can honestly have a good relationship with a woman, but the other half doubts his confidence in the matter.  I think that we have all been there at some point or another. Everyone sees the positives and the negatives of a matter, and yes, it can be difficult to make a decision.  What I like about this in Eliot's poem, and Doone's Song for that matter, is that we almost get to experience the internal conflict with him.  We understand why he feels the way that he does, and it's interesting to see how he reacts to the situation.  I think Blythe and Sweet did a good job in exhuming the key factor of the poem, indesciveness.

Added on 2/22/08

Something else that I wanted to add was the reference to mermaids in poem.  I wrote about this in my reflection, and I think it's interesting enough to possibly throw out there.  In the poem, we have a reference to mermaids.  I'm not sure if everyone knows the history behind the creatures, so I'm going to throw it out there.  Mermaids, although filled with beautry and seduction, used to use their 'song' to lure sailors into their death.  So technically, I guess mermaids weren't all that great. 

I find it interesting that he uses the characterization of a mermaid to allude to women in general.  Talk about a sterotype, haha!  He is saying that women are not to be trusted.  That they use their charm, and beautry to lure men in, and then ultimately break their hearts.  Perhaps this is the reason behind his thoughts on relationships?  And most importantly, perhaps this is the reason why both authors have "Song" written in their title.  I think when they say 'love song,' they are using that as a contradiction.  They are alluding to the devious songs of the mermaids.  I dunno if that's correct, but I think that it could def. be a possibility.

What do you think? Do you think that they are really love poems, or that their titles are deceptive?

homepage