The makings of a living, breathing story.

"The crisis may be a recognition, a decision, or a resolution. The character understands what hasn't been seen before, or realizes what must be done, or finally decides to do it. It's when the worm turns. Timing is crucial. If the crisis occurs too early, readers will expect still another turning point. If it occurs too late, readers will get impatient--the character will seem rather thick. -Jerome Stern"

The tips on how to write a short story were really helpful to me. A lot of it seemed familiar from the chapter's I've read in Foster, but then again, a lot of it was new material/insight for me.  I particularly enjoyed the part about the turning point of a story.  I know that when I write, I normally start out with a very emotional event right in the beginning. This way, it gives the reader a dramatic, heart renching NEED to read the story, and also offers some details about the character, their life, and their emotional/physical/mental stability.  Plus, just as the quote says, it keeps them wanting more!  Timing really is important, if not more important than the setting/geography.

clickhere to see what others have posted on this material!

I liked your comment about timing. If an important event is not timed right, the impact of that event falls flat.

Timing is crucial. I agree. It's a funny thought to think that in such a short piece, one paragraph could be too early or too late.

Juliana Cox said:

I agree that timing plays an important part in writing. In elementary schoolm we learned about the chart that starts of with the into, then the rising action, then the climax, then the falling actio, and then the conclusion. You can't have the climax action taking place in the intro or falling action. It just wouldn't make sense! You can't do it! Each aspect of your writing needs to be timed percisely.

Erica Gearhart said:

Timing is very important, especially in a short story when you have only a few pages to develop your characters, theme, plot, etc. I love how you decribe the own beginnings to your stories. The readers do need to be persuaded to continued reading, and what better way than to make the readers feel for the characters and wish to see how the story will turn out.