The Misfit finds a home in violence.

"Why you're one of my babies.  You're one of my own children! She reached out and touched him on the shoulder.  The Misfit sprang back as if a snake had bitten him and shot her three times through the chest.  Then he put his gundown and on the ground and took off his glasses and began to clean them (O'Connor  22)"

I like this quote because for me, it was the part of the story that tugged at the strings to my heart.  It's that factor in a story that makes you go WHAT! I feel that it intercorrelates the violence, conflict, and turning point of the story.  The violences part is obvious.  As is the conflict.  The Misfit is in a state of rememberance as his listens to the grandmother.  Part of you wonders, is he going to change because of what she said, or will his true colors come out?  In fact, even after he shoots her, you still tend wonder if her words had some impact on him.

I think one of the most important parts of the quote is when he uses the snake reference.  His reaction reminded me of how a cobra would react when its scared or threatened.  It instinctively snaps, just as he did. Maybe The Misfit was scared of being loved.  Of being accepted.  Maybe that reference is the meaning behind the name.

homepage

Erica Gearhart said:

I also liked this quote when I read it. I especially like how you commented on the fact that even after he kills her, he is not exactly happy about what he did. Just like you said, maybe her words did change him. I also like your reasons for his recoiling at the grandmother's touch and the relationship you made between this idea and his name. You should take a look at Ally's comments on this section too. She gives another interesting idea about why the Misfit's personality is the way that it is.