I MEAN...ARE WE SERIOUS?

"Come inside," it says, "for CD's, VIDEO's, DVD's and Book's.  If this santanic sprinkling of redundant apostrophes causes no little gasp of horor or quickening of the pulse, you should probably put down this books at once.  By all means congratulate yourself that you are not a pedant or even  a stickler; that you are happily equipped to live in a world of plummeting punctuation standards; but jsut don't bother to go any further (Truss 1)."

First off, if you can't tell by the quote, I despise grammar and punctuation.  Honestly, I don't really care about it at all. I mean I know it's important and some of the rules have stuck with me through the years, but I just can't and will never be a stickler for it.  For me it's always been about what the words are telling you, not about the punctuation that is in between them.

Even with that being said though, stupid stuff like the above does really bother me.  Like that is something that everyone should know. Stuff like that I guess I can be a little weird over because I mean come on. But as for agreement stuff, it's whatever to me. It's a whole different language and I'll never be able to speak it.

Now my mom on the other hand, would probably die if she read this becuase I honestly think she was made to be a proof reader.  She catches stuff like this and runs with it.  She would be the person that stands in front of Two Weeks Notice dieing because of the absent apostraphe.  I guess some people feel the passion and others do not.

------------------

"Why else would they open a large play area for children, hang up a sign saying "Giant Kid's Playground," and then wonder why everyone stays away from it? (Answer: everyone is scared of the Giant Kid (Truss 41)."

I picked this quote because when I first read it, I didn't get the joke AT ALL.  When I did though, I actually laughed out loud because I'm a sucker for corny humor like this.  It does make you wonder though. Would you want to write for a newspaper who constantly misused grammar, mispelled names, and didn't proofread? Would you want to converse with someone who says "Hey! Where was you goin'" and not wince?  Some things, yes are important, but I have to admit that I think this book is a little out of control so far.

homepage

Jessie Farine said:

I have to disagree with you, Steph. I think this book is perfectly fine, but that's probably because I'm a stickler myself, and I'm probably out of control. However, I feel that grammar is important because it helps to protect the meaning of the words and sentences that you write. Without them, those ideas that you focused so hard on would be so confused that you might have well have written them in a different language. Just look at the example of the two notes Jill writes to Jack from our reading. Punctuation affects meaning in a big way.