Surprise, Surprise! I Disagree with you... AGAIN!

"Being a student doesn not give you a sense of what it is like to be a teacher any more than being a hospital patient gives you insight into what it is like to be a doctor or a nurse (Lemire, 18)."

Well, well, well, Mr. Lemire. We meet again in confliction. I hope that you're not taking my comments as offense, but I honestly believe that you wrote a biased book.  How can you make generalized claims like that! Ok let's even out the playing field.  First, I'll pretend that I'm the catcher, and I'm taking in what your giving me, and then I'm going to be the pitcher and throw what I have to say out at you.

Catcher Perspective: A student does not understand what it is like to be a teacher. They do not know what it is like to get up in front of a classroom of people and teach a lesson that they may find intruiging or not.  They don't have to create lesson plans, worry about their contract, or find new creative ways to reach out to the students.  They are not bogged down with pressure of having their students obtain high PSAT scores, or worrying about whether someone new is going to take away their position.  Teachers go through so much that students don't understand, so therefore it is impossible for a student to understand what it is like to be a teacher.(Mr. Lemire, if you're reading this, and I'm getting a wrong impression of this entry, please, let me know what you're trying to convey!)

Pitcher Perspective: A student without a doubt understands what what it is like to be a teacher. We know how it feels to get up in front of our class and give presentations on topic matter that the rest of the room finds boring to death (or hopefully intruiging).  We may not have to create lesson plans, but we create college applications and resumes, not counting THOUSANDS of papers with MOUNDS of research.  True we don't have to worry about contracts as students, but we have to worry about passing our classes and doing well.  We have to find new and creative ways to write and form presentations and as for the security of a postion, we worry about what rank we are! Everyone knows that scholarships are given our to the top 10%, etc. etc. Students go through a lot of the same hardships that teachers go through... sometimes you just have to step out of the box to see it.

I know that I personally never wanted to teach. I couldn't even stand the idea of lecturing to a bunch of students that didn't care what I had to say because they were only there because they had to be.  I got that impression from several of my teachers in the past, and frankly, it annoyed the hell out of me.  How could you take on a position where you are molding the futures of others, and not take it seriously.  It's like you know what you were getting into, but decided to shrug it off your shoulders and dismiss your responsibility.  It was at this point in my life, that I knew that it wasn't an option for me.  I HAD to teach.  Not k-12, university.  I was inspired by the teachers that didn't inspire me! I know that I have a passion for my subject that I am (dilligently) studying, and I know that it is my obligation to share that with others. So saying that a student does not understand what it is like to be a teacher, is in a way almost impossible.  I knew what I teacher should be, was, and was not, and in my future I hope to show my students what a teacher is.

homepage