The Story of my Life on page 207.

"It's not that I think the major in English isn't a good program of study, it's just that I don't think it's enough, and I don't think the program I took was organized particulary well-or maybe it's just that there are a few things I wish I had been told (Lemire 207)."

I picked this quote because it reminded me of my parents' constant concern of me becoming an English Literature Major. "...but what are you going to do with it Stephanie? It's not enough to just be an English major?  It's not like a Biology degree where you can go out and get a job in medicine. You like Biology, why dont you do something with a guarentee?"

GAH. First off, I would rather do something that makes me happy in life, then spend my life in misery with what if syndrome.  I also tried to explain to them that English opens so many different doors in the career world and that I would be versitle in my options.  English would equip me with valuable skills in analysis, writing, and speech! It was the best major in the world! Well, until I stepped off my soap box that is.

I love English, don't get me wrong.  But my parents, and Lemire, do have a point.  It's not like you can run out into the streets and scream I'M AN ENGLISH MAJOR, and have a genre of employers run at you.  English majors do run into a lot of work when it comes to finding a job (depending on your field of choice).  That is why I decided that in my case, I was going to take on another major. Art History.

Now mind you, at first, this only pissed my parents off even more.  So now I had TWO majors that weren't a guarentee, hahaha. Some might argue that I just liked being a constant pain towards my parents, but what they didn't realize where the opportunities that were awaiting me!  With my journalism background, combined with my art background, I was ready to load up my resume.

I've already secured 3 internships and 1 (almost 2) part time job[s] as a free lance journalist. It's been a long hard road trying to find and secure jobs, but it's worth it, and I know my experiences here at SHU will only lead to more options.  I know that I have a LOT of work to do in the future, but I'm ready for it, and cannot wait.  I may not start off making the big bucks right away, but I'll sure as hell be happy doing it!

Oh, and the funny part about this, is that I wouldn't have (or most likely wouldn't have) gotten my other two internships if I didn't have a writing portfolio.Those 5 years of journalism classes and free lance writing proved to my employers that I could write, speak, and deliver a polished product.  English has done everything for me because it gave me the tools to start my future.

homepage

I just wanted to say congratulations to you, Stephanie. Your blog entry is really inspiring and I think that it is great that you are pursuing something that you love. There are too many people in the world who hate their jobs and wish that they were doing something else. It takes a lot of courage to stand up and fight for your passion. Your parents may not agree with your decision now, but I think that once they see you go out into the real world and start working and BEING HAPPY WITH YOUR JOB, they will be very proud of you and everything that you have accomplished. The fact that you have so much going for you right now (3 internships and 1-2 part time jobs) will be very beneficial to you in the future. I also have to say that I am very impressed that you are juggling those jobs, schoolwork, and English Club all in one. Plus, even if you do unpaid internships, the experience that you gain will be more valuable than any amount of money. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something; I don't mean to be cliche', but where there's a will, there's a way, and you seem to have a pretty strong will. :) Good luck to you in everything you do and I am sure that your future job will bring you much success and happiness.

Wow Stephanie! You're on the ball! You are truly inspiring. You should write an article for other students somewhere about how to chase your dreams and get internships and be motivated because you got it girl!

Angelica Guzzo said:

My parents had the same idea "you, an English major? What are you goning to do with that?" I fully agree that you should major in something you are passionate about.