This sounds familiar, and trust me...that's not a good thing.

"You might imagine, from a comfortable distance, that people who live, year in and year out, on $6 to $10 an hour have discovered some survival stratagems unknown to the middle class. But no. It's not hard to get my coworkers talking about their living situations, because housing, in almost every case, is the principal sourse of disruption in their lives, the first thing they fill you in on when they arrive from their shifts (Ehrenreich 25)."

I'm sorry to report folks, but I can totally relate to what our author is trying to portray. I've been waitressing at the same restaurant for almost three years now, and most of the people that I work with have been there with me since I started.  We've all gotten pretty close over the years and I've learned a lot about their lives and the past. That makes it harder.

It's hard to imagine, especailly with how fortunate our lives are, to picture ourselves in situations like those mentioned in the book.  I know people who live day to day by the tips that get at work.  I know people that sit in booths with creepy old men and talk to them for hours, just to make sure they get a five dollar tip.  I know people who leave work and have no where to go and are constently worrying about how they are going to get to work the next day because they don't have a car, or the money to pay for a taxi.  I don't know how many of you have experienced anything like this, but it's heartbreaking.

I agree with  Ehrenreich.  This truly is the working poor.  It's not because they are bad people who made bad decisions in their lives.  It's not that they are lazy or unappreciative.  They are probably one of the most hardworking group of people that we will ever meet. Sometimes you just get dealt a bad hand.

It makes you wonder when enough is enough, and the governement NEEDS to step in.  People in our own country are starving, homeless, and poor.  It's time to open our own eyes to things we don't want to see, and that is exactly what Ehrenreich's book does.

homepage