Ancy, Amiable, Alliteration!

"Alliteration, the repetition of sounds in nearby words or stressed syllables, is frequent in both poetry and prose. Usually, the term applies to consonants that appear at the beginnings of words (Hamilton 217)."

I love alliteration because I think that it aids in the natural poetric flow of the words. For example, in one of the poems I wrote for class, I utilized alliteration to not only aid in the flow of the words, but to show my poetic skills as well.

Here is a copy of my poem "The Tongue Twister." I have marked and bolded all the examples of alliteration that I used:

“The Tongue Twister”

I cringe and crumble as I butcher words

Unrelenting, ubiquitous rhythm!

Accidentalatrocious adjectives!

I am a slave to paper and pencil;

A mere mourning minion of mantra.

Poetry! You slaughter my slavish soul!

Your meticulous, menacing meter!

Your scrupulous, soul sucking similes!

I bow to you, clever master of words.

I remain staring into the abyss.

homepage

I too love Alliteration. I frequently try to make my titles alliterative, for example, “Pessimistic Pregnancy”. I think alliteration helps the reader remember whatever the author wants to better. It also helps drive home the point, if the reader misses the idea the first time the continuous repetition will hopefully catch his attention and help him realize the importance of the idea. Alliteration is a powerful tool, one that even Valentine, the genius 10 year old from Ender’s Game picks up on, “Valentine had a knack for alliteration that made her phrases memorable” (Card 135). What’s even better about alliteration is that it is a relatively simple literary tool; just about any writer can employ alliteration at least to some degree of effectiveness.

Maddie Gillespie said:

Steph, both you and Greta make excellent points that I can't help but agree with because those are the same reasons that I would use when asked if I liked alliteration or not. THe repetition of the first sound in a word certainly drives home a point in the reader's mind. And if it doesn't...well, I'm sure that they've got more than one issue. Another idea I love to use in poetry is consonance. Now, if an author can combine fluid alliteration with consonance, then they've really got it made. no doubt about it. I really like you poem, Steph! Great job. I know I could never say that at any pace faster than slow as all get out!

Katie Vann said:

Steph I loved this poem that you shared with us in our group the other day. I remember you blogging before about how you tend to often use alliteration in your poetry. I thought it was really cool that you then wrote a poem about alliteration.

ICELA said:

IS THE POEM "I TOO" BY LANGSTON HUGHES AN
ALLITERATION?

What definition of "alliteration" did your teacher give you? Does it the match the definition you see on this page? If so, do you see any lines in the poem that meet the definition?