Faith and Rainbows

This is a reflection paper that I wrote for my Faith, Religion and Society class this semester, and I really liked the message that the Dr. Klaypack was trying to send to us, so I wanted to add it on here and see what other people thought.  Enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

According to answers.com, a rainbow is defined as ‘an arc of spectral colors, usually identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, that appears in the sky opposite the sun as a result of the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain or mist.’ In my opinion, it is composed of various supplements that make it whole, and it is typically viewed as the happiness after the storm.

When we were instructed to draw a rainbow in class, my first instinct, obviously, was to draw a decent sized curvilinear shape and add the colors that ROYGBIV told me too. Ok, so I’m a conformist, but that’s what I drew. When we were then instructed to draw a rainbow again, I decided to release my creative side and draw a curvilinear shape made out of bows surrounded my rain drops. When we held up our drawings, everyone was looking around staring at everyone else’s and I noticed that one person drew a pot of gold at the end of his rainbow. In a weird way, I found the parallel between the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and the Bridge of Chivat in Zoroastrianism. It was like the actual rainbow was the bridge, and the pot of gold was Heaven. That is when it clicked! So there was a connection between a rainbow and religion!

The truth of the matter is, when one is simply given a task with no rules, one has freedom to interpret the subject however they want. There will be various perceptions and compounds of subjectivity, but that doesn’t make any one person wrong for their take on the topic. It just means that there is no right or wrong way to think, just as there is no right or wrong religion.

God didn’t appear one day on Earth and yell this is the religion that everyone needs to follow in order to get into heaven. He didn’t leave us with any specific directions, or any hints of what to do. Every religion has a different spin on what they believe and how they go about believing.

I was raised as a Catholic and still remain one today. But, even though I have declared a religion, I will admit that I have a very open mind to other cultures, and this is one of the reasons why I was so excited to take this class. Just because I have my own beliefs, doesn’t mean that I think the Buddhists’ have it all wrong. In fact, I agree with a lot of what they have to say, and I try to incorporate it into my own lifestyles and beliefs. For instance, I’ve recently been doing yoga and meditation, and I will honestly admit that it does clear your mind and bring you closer to God. It cleanses and empties your body of the impurities and I think that they are on to something as using that as a method of ‘prayer.’

I learned from this exercise that there is no right or wrong answer to how you perceive your beliefs. As I said, just because I’m declared as a Catholic doesn’t mean that I don’t believe bits and pieces from each religion. I try to live in the way Confucius taught, and I mediate to release impurities and become closer to God. One can learn a lot about themselves and their beliefs if they open their mind to the ideas of others.

4.2.08