Hyphens: The English God's gift to the world

"Churchill said hyphens were "a blemish, to be avoided wherever possible."  Yet there will always be a problems about getting rid of the hyphen: if it's not extra-marital sex (with a hypen), it is perhaps extra marital sex, which is quite a different bunch of coconuts (Truss 168-9)."

I would first like to comment on how much I like Truss's style of writing.  While I admit that I'm starting to like the book, it dosen't really catch my interest like a good suspense novel does.  Nevertheless, I like her acute sense of realism and humor within her writing.

Personally, I'm a big fan of hypens.  When I write, I tend to utilize them quite often because I love that they can just keep extending my thoughts.  I'll admit that almong with being comma happy, sometimes when I'm really trying to get my point across, I become adjective happy as well, and this is where I thank the God's of English.

homepage

"Traditionally it joins together words, or words-with-prefixes, to aid understanding; it keeps certain other words neatly apart, with an identical intention (Truss 169)."