I will not admit that I am starting to actually like this book....nope, won't do it.

"But sadly, anyone lazily looking for an excuse not to master the colon and semicolon can always locate a respectable reason, because so many are advanced.  Here are some of the most common: they are old-fashioned, they are middle-class, they are optional, they are mysteriously connect to pausing, they are dangerously addictive, the difference between them is too negligible to be grasped by the brain of man (Trus 109-110)."

As stated before, I admit that I'm not a stickler for grammar like some out there, and I will be honest when I say that this is probably because I had a lot of difficulty with it when I was younger. Needless to say, I'm still a little shaky on the rules even as a college student. That I will admit.

I liked this passage because I always was a tad confused on the usage of the colon and the semicolon (especially the semicolon). I was, and still kind of am, torn between even attempting to use a semicolon because I know that 9 times out of 10 that I will use it wrong, haha.  Maybe that's why I just try to avoid it at all cost. I'll either just break it up into two sentences, or cleverly infultrate my previous one to fit it all it (insert evil laugh here).

Just a note: When I saw the excerpt of Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, I was stunned. My jaw almost fell right off my face because I was astounded that someone could write something like that, and that writing like that even exsisted. Wow. That's all I can say.  Kudos to that person :)

homepage

Stephanie, I share your frustration. I don’t think anyone ever explained when to use a semi-colon to me in high school. It was not till Thinking and Writing last semester, that the use was explained to me…probably because of how many comma splices I had in my papers. But once you know the rules, it really isn’t all that hard. Although, I am sure I still mess it up frequently.