Analysis on The Brood: 'Going all the way through it to the end'

Rather than dissecting and doing an analysis on the entire article, I wanted to focus on a a specific section that really interested me and caught my eye: Nola the monster. Since I thought her battle of humanity was the highlight of the film, it seems only proper to but an emphasis on it when I make my concluding statement.

At the end, when we see the psychosis of Nola fading in and out- going from sanity to monstrosity- we are questioning whether or not she is even human anymore.  She has that evil, sinister smirk on her face as if she has welcomed malice into her life, and at this, she even makes reference to the fact that she knows her rage is killing these people and doesn't care. Even the focus on her face alone, is enough to show the viewers the monster in Nola.  Very creepy. But the best and concluding part was when Nola lifted up her nightgown and revealed her true self.  Viewers saw the exposed external womb, watched her bite into it and seep out the blood, and even saw her lick the infant clean--almost an animalistic trait...def. not humane.

The quote that really stuck with me after reading the article was: "Her knowledge and violation of the brood's violent acts -now her violent acts- suddenly appear for the first time and finally de-complexify her, deprive her of her humanity, make her a monster. And now that she is a monster Frank can strangle her- an act that , however much of the narrative tries to qualify it differently, takes on overtones of a sex murder in this arena of femaleness and abjection.  Nola's 'Kill me, kill me' even for a moment conjures up the terms of a sadomasochistic sex murder, where the females invites the male's sadistic desire: A theme that will rise into prominence in the films beginning with Videodrome."
---> This was really cool to read because it introduced gender issues as well as sexual issues within the movie itself.  One can def. see a transgression of female power vs. male dominance within the movie, and I think it's pretty cool that even thought Nola dies at the... that she had the most power throughout the movie.  She brought the broodlings to life, she channeled her rage into the murder of family members/threats to her, and she even had controlled of her death....begging her husband to kill her.  Talk about a feminist perspective of power! Wow

Mike Arnzen said:

Stephanie: As always, a genuinely good response, going deep into both the story and the research (that's William Beard you're quoting). I like how you focus in on the gender issues; you could take that final sentence and build on it a little more.

Now that we're past the middle of the course, rather than comment in depth this time, I would like you to come by my office hours some time soon to talk about your blogging in the course, and your thoughts about the readings.